Artichoke leaf extract is the liquid or substance that comes from the leaf of the artichoke plant (Cynara scolymus).
The artichoke plant is native to the European and Mediterranean regions and is related to the thistle plant.1
The artichoke plant produces what’s known as a “globe” of green-grey artichoke leaves. The leaves themselves have been used historically for medicinal purposes.
The Ancient Romans used artichoke leaves to help improve digestion and as an aphrodisiac.1
Artichoke Leaf Extract Health Uses and Health Benefits
Research has shown that artichoke leaf extract health benefits are quite
versatile. Artichoke leaves are high in antioxidants and phytonutrients called flavonoids. They are also high
in magnesium, potassium and calcium, which are important minerals for bone and muscle strength.2 3
Artichoke leaf extract health benefits include: 2 4 5
Artichoke leaf extract uses are good for fighting and preventing certain conditions. Here are some of the top artichoke leaf extract uses:
- Protects the liver by helping liver cells regenerate
- Lowers cholesterol levels in people with elevated cholesterol levels
- Helps treat gastritis and heartburn
- Reduces symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Fights certain cancers, including pleural mesothelioma
- Improves blood vessel health
- Bladder Infection (Cystitis) - Artichoke leaf extract is a traditional remedy for treating bladder infections.
- Anemia - Artichokes are a good source of iron, which can help to improve anemia (iron deficiency).
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Taking artichoke leaf extract can significantly improve uncomfortable IBS symptoms.
- Edema - Artichoke leaf extract can help stimulate bile flow from the liver, which is believed to help reduce fluid retention (edema).
- Liver Disease - Artichoke leaf extract can help cleanse and repair the liver protecting it from liver disease. It does this by naturally stimulating the bile flow, which helps the liver eliminate toxins.
Artichoke Leaf Extract Side Effects and Precautions
Artichoke leaf extract side effects are few. Almost no one experiences any form
of dangerous or severe side effects or reactions from taking artichoke leaf extract. Artichoke leaf extract
does appear to have diuretic effects so take precaution as it may increase urination. Anyone allergic to
daisies, marigolds or chrysanthemums may experience rhinitis-type artichoke leaf extract side