Ashwagandha root extract is the substance extracted from the root of the ashwagandha plant. The ashwagandha plant is also called
winter cherry, Indian ginseng or asgandh. The ashwagandha plant is from the Withania genus and is native to Africa, Asia and Southern Europe.1 Ashwagandha root
extract has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as an adaptogenic herb, which reduces stress and improves adrenal function.2 Ashwagandha root
extract is available in liquid tincture and powder forms.
Asgandh Health Uses and Health Benefits
There have been several studies done on ashwagandha root extract benefits. As an adaptogen herb, ashwagandha root
extract is commonly used as tonic to soothe anxiety and reduce stress. This is because it appears to have balancing effects on hormones,
particularly cortisol (stress hormone).2
Ashwagandha root extract benefits also include balancing thyroid activity for people with both hyper and hypothyroidism.3 Ashwagandha
root extract benefits for lowering inflammation are also widely known. This makes it an effective herbal remedy for rheumatic conditions, including arthritis.2
Other ashwagandha root extract benefits for health include:2 3
These health benefits mean there are plenty of ashwagandha root extract uses for treating health conditions and preventing disease. The following
are the top ashwagandha root extract uses:
- Inhibits tumor growth
- Prevents cognitive disease through antioxidant effects
- Supports immune system function
- Lowers adrenal fatigue
- Elevates mood by lowering anxiety
- Increases energy levels
- Hypothyroidism - One of the known ashwagandha root extract benefits is its ability to balance hormone levels, which helps to regulate thyroid levels. It can help to stimulate the thyroid in people with hypothyroidism.
- Anemia - Ashwagandha root extract is rich in iron, which means it can help elevate iron levels in people with anemia (iron deficiency).
- Depression - Because of ashwagandha root extract’s effects on lowering stress, it can also help to elevate mood and treat depression.
- Anorexia Nervosa - Ashwagandha root extract can help increase energy levels in people suffering from fatigue due to anorexia nervosa.
- Insomnia (Sleep Disorder) - Ashwagandha root extract reduces cortisol levels, which can help improve sleep quality in those suffering from insomnia.
Asgandh Side Effects and Precautions
Ashwagandha root extract side effects may occur when taken in high doses. These side effects include diarrhea, abdominal pain,
drowsiness and lowered pulse. Pregnant women and people taking anti-anxiety medications should not take ashwagandha root extract. Ashwagandha root extract
side effects also include possibly enhancing the effects of alcohol.4