Calcium is a natural mineral found in the human body. It is the most abundant mineral in the body and is an important dietary element for health. Calcium is naturally stored in our bones and teeth and is then distributed to the heart and other organs through the bloodstream.1
A calcium deficiency can lead to severe health problems including tooth decay, high blood pressure, osteoporosis and muscle tension.2
Though calcium naturally occurs in foods like dairy, kale and broccoli, many people don’t receive enough calcium in their diet and therefore need to take calcium supplements in tablet form for added health.
Calcium Health Uses and Health Benefits
Because calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, it plays a very important role in overall human health.
Calcium health benefits include:1 2 3
- Strengthening bone health to prevent fractures and osteoporosis
- Maintaining healthy teeth
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Normalizing blood pressure
- Regulating blood clotting
- Supporting nerve and muscle function
- Preventing cancer in the digestive tract
- Regulating mood swings
- Preventing food cravings
- Decreasing PMS symptoms like bloating, pain and tenderness
- Balancing the body’s pH levels
With so many These calcium benefits make it an important mineral to help treat the following conditions:
- Fractures - Calcium for bones is an important mineral to take in order to prevent bone fractures. Calcium helps increase bone mass which reduces the risk of bone fracturing.
- Breast Cancer - A high intake of dietary calcium is thought to help reduce the risk of developing breast cancer in certain women.
- Multiple Sclerosis - Some research has shown that calcium supplementation may help to decrease the rate of development of multiple sclerosis and also reduce the relapse rate. Due to the calcium health benefits for muscles and bones, it is thought to help prevent the bone loss and nerve tissue damage that is associated with multiple sclerosis.
- Premenstrual Syndrome - Calcium is thought to help reduce symptoms of PMS including bloating and muscle and tissue pain and tenderness.
- Heel Spurs - Heel spurs can possibly be prevented by ensuring a sufficient daily intake of calcium.
- Osteoporosis - Because calcium helps to promote healthy bone and muscle growth, it may be an effective treatment for osteoporosis. Having an adequate daily intake of calcium may also help to prevent osteoporosis from developing.
Calcium Side Effects and Precautions
There are certain calcium side effects to be aware of before taking a daily calcium supplement. Calcium supplements should be balanced with magnesium and vitamin D supplements for better absorption. 1
Here are the calcium side effects and precautions to consider:1
- Too much calcium supplementation may cause constipation
- Taking calcium in excess can cause nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and increased urination
- Men taking too many calcium supplements may be at risk of developing prostate cancer
- Older people do not absorb calcium as well as younger people and so may need to take calcium in higher doses
If you are currently taking other medications, speak to your doctor about any alternative therapy treatments you are using.