Chinese quince seed is the seed that comes from the Chinese quince fruit. Chinese quince belongs to the Rosaceae family. Chinese quince (pseudocydonia sinensis) is native to the warm climates of Southwest Asia. The Chinese name for quince fruit is Mu Gua.1,2
The Chinese quince tree is a small tree or a large shrub that grows up to 20 feet tall. The quince tree produces oval shaped fruits that are edible and sweet. Quince fruit is similar to a pear and when ripe, turns a golden yellow color. At the center, there are multiple tiny quince seeds, which can be removed from the quince fruit flesh. Chinese quince seeds are covered in a fleshy coating. The seeds can be removed from the quince fruit, cleaned and dried and used to create a natural remedy.1,3,4
Chinese Quince Seed Health Uses and Health Benefits
Chinese quince seeds have long been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). To make chinese quince seed medicine, the seeds can be extracted and dried out, then ground into a powder. Alternatively, chinese quince seeds can be soaked and boiled to create a quince seed infusion.3
Chinese quince fruits and seeds have plenty of important health benefits. Chinese quince fruit is high in antioxidants and is an excellent source of vitamin C. Chinese quince seed uses are typically associated with helping liver, digestive, and eye diseases.3 Here are some known Chinese quince seed uses for natural healing:
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia) - There are important Chinese quince seed health benefits for improving the heart and helping to lower bad cholesterol levels.
- Allergy (Allergies) - Chinese quince seed can help treat several allergy symptoms including respiratory problems, inflammation and skin hives.
- Liver Disease - Natural detoxifying quince seed health benefits can help improve liver health.
- Diarrhea - Chinese quince seed is a natural digestive aid, which can help stop diarrhea.
- Cystitis - Chinese quince seeds help to reduce inflammation and heal bacterial infections causing cystitis.
- Gonorrhea - Chinese quince seed has natural antibacterial properties that can help treat a gonorrhea infection.
Chinese Quince Seed Side Effects and Precautions
Chinese quince seed side effects may include causing toxicity when taken in large doses. Chinese quince seeds contain small amounts of cyanide and should only be taken in safe doses.5