Colloidal silver is a home remedy that is simply silver suspended in a liquid, usually water.1 There have been little scientific studies done on the safety and effectiveness of using colloidal silver for its health benefits. However, many people believe it to have benefits in treating burns when applied topically and in destroying bacteria, fungi, and viruses.1,2 It does this by affecting these microorganisms’ oxygen metabolic systems to “suffocate” them. The body’s immune system then eliminates these microorganisms as waste. Colloidal silver can be placed on the skin or taken orally.2
Colloidal Silver Uses and Health Benefits
Colloidal silver benefits are said to be vast. For over a century, it’s been used as a topical antiseptic for minor burns.1 It’s believed to be highly effective in killing microorganisms, from bacteria in skin infections to viruses like those that cause the cold or flu.2
It’s also believed to help aid women with yeast infections by blending with water and using as a douche.2 Among colloidal silver uses, it’s said to help stimulate healing of the skin, cure ear and eye infections, reduce inflammation, and treat a wide range of other conditions caused by harmful microorganisms. For example, colloidal silver uses include using it as a nasal spray to treat sinus infections. Pneumonia and bronchitis patients can also benefit from using a nebulizer to inhale colloidal silver and fight infection.3
Colloidal silver may also help with the following conditions:
- Acid Reflux - Colloidal silver is believed to help reduce acid reflux symptoms when taken orally.
- Vertigo - Vertigo is a symptom of various medical conditions, including ear infections, that causes a sense of dizziness. Among colloidal silver uses, it can be taken orally to help fight vertigo.
- Conjunctivitis - Conjunctivitis, also known as pink eye, can be treated with colloidal silver. Pink eye is caused by a bacterial or viral infection. Applying colloidal silver to the affected eye is said to attract the infection electromagnetically and send it to the bloodstream, where it’s eliminated as waste.
- Parasitic Disease - Among colloidal silver benefits, it’s said to help with parasitic disease.
- Syphilis - Colloidal silver benefits individuals suffering from syphilis.
Colloidal Silver Side Effects and Precautions
Colloidal silver has minimal side effects, but with little research done on the home remedy, it’s important to proceed with caution and to follow the dosage directions on the packaging or as recommended by your physician. Colloidal silver can lead to a condition known as argyria, which causes a bluish-gray tint to the skin that can be permanent. It may also lead to poor absorption of some drugs, including thyroxine and some antibiotics.5
There are many different types of colloidal silver available on the market through numerous manufacturers. Some varieties are of higher quality than others. Higher quality colloidal silver is created through non-chemical or electro-colloidal processes where water and silver have a collision.2 Talk to your doctor about any other medications or herbs you’re taking to ensure they won’t interact with other home remedies.