Onion is a plant that produces an edible bulb that is commonly used in cooking meals. But it can also be used as natural remedy due to its many onion health benefits. There are different types of onions which all offer the same great health benefits. At your local grocery store you can find red, yellow or white onions which can all be added to your diet. Onions are also closely related to garlic, chives, scallions and leeks.1
Onion Uses and Health Benefits
Onions are an excellent source of polyphenols which are plant compounds that act as antioxidants. Onions naturally contain a high concentration of flavonoids in their outer layers. 2
The main onion health benefits include: 2,3
- Anti-clotting health benefits
- Improve bone density and connective tissue
- Anti-inflammatory health benefits
- Antioxidant health benefits with the flavonoid called quercetin
- Improve blood sugar balance
- Antibacterial benefits
- Sulfur compounds that have anti-carcinogenic, anti-thrombotic and anti-asthmatic health benefits
In addition to the above, onion health benefits include treatment for cancer and decreasing cancer risk and cancer prevention. Onions are also thought to help stimulate hair growth and improve acne.
Here are some of the conditions that onion benefits can help to treat:
- Onions can help treat symptoms of fever with their antibacterial and infection-fighting properties. Adding onion to you diet can help improve fever symptoms and help fight infection.
- Baldness (Hair Loss) - Onion can be used as a topical treatment to help stimulate hair growth. Use onions as a scalp treatment to improve baldness.
- Erectile Dysfunction - Onions can naturally help boost and stimulate the sexual organs. Eat onions when helping to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Common Cold - Onions have natural antibacterial and antioxidant health benefits which can help to improve cold symptoms. Eat onions to help improve breathing and fight infection when suffering from a cold.
- Toothache - With natural anti-inflammatory health benefits, use onions to treat toothaches. Place onion directly on infected area to help reduce swelling.
- Atherosclerosis - With natural antioxidants like quercetin, onions can help thin the blood helping to improve symptoms of atherosclerosis. Eat onions to help improve heart conditions.
Onion Side Effects and Precautions
Onions are safe to eat for most people. However there are some precautions to follow if you are considering increasing your intake of onions or using them as a natural health remedy.
Here are some precautions with onions:4
- May increase reactions in people with digestive problems such as acid reflux disease and heartburn
- Some people have difficulty digesting different types of onions. If you experience this, try changing to another type of onion like red, yellow or white
- Change to leeks, scallions or chives if you experience difficulty digesting any types of onions
Onions are not commonly known to cause any allergic reactions or dietary concerns. Onions are generally safe for most people to consume.