Chamomile is a popular herb used in natural medicine to heal treat a variety of conditions. There are two types of chamomile herbs: German chamomile and English or Roman chamomile.Chamomile has been used for more than five thousands of years as a traditional medicine and was used by the Greeks, Romans and Egyptians.1
Most commonly, chamomile is taken as a tea. Chamomile is also available as an essential oil to apply to skin topically. Chamomile can also be taken as a supplement in liquid extract or capsule forms.
Chamomile Uses and Health Benefits
The main chamomile benefits are largely used as a sedative and spasmolytic remedy to help soothe muscles. 2 Chamomile is often associated with tranquility and helping to improve wellbeing and vitality. 3 Chamomile is full of health benefits including:3
- Contains terpenoids and flavonoids like apigenin, quercetin, patuletin and luteolin
- Powerful antioxidants that have anti-cancer health benefits
- Antimicrobial health benefits
- Anti-inflammatory benefits for skin and joint inflammation
- Reduces PMS symptoms
- Chamomile for sleep to treat insomnia
- Chamomile benefits for skin conditions such as rashes
- Chamomile for hair benefits used as a natural lightener
- Chamomile for depression and mood elevation
- Chamomile for anxiety to improve tranquility
With so many chamomile benefits for mood, sleep, hair, skin and more, this herbal remedy is diverse and is commonly used to treat several conditions.
Some of the conditions that chamomile benefits can treat include:
- Conjunctivitis - Conjunctivitis or pinkeye is inflammation within the eye and outer layer of the eyelid. Chamomile has terrific anti-inflammatory health benefits to treat skin conditions including swelling from conjunctivitis.
- Ovarian Cyst - Chamomile has natural muscle and tissue relaxing health benefits that may help to treat the presence of ovarian cysts.
- Schizophrenia - Chamomile has natural health benefits that promote tranquility which can help treat schizophrenia by reducing anxiety.
- Seizure Disorders - With natural spasmolytic health benefits, chamomile can help relax muscles and create a state of calm. This helps to reduce instances of seizures and improve seizure symptoms.
- Anxiety Disorder - Chamomile tea is a traditional remedy to help calm anxiety and relieve stress.
- Diverticulitis - Chamomile tea can help relieve digestive cramps including symptoms of diverticulitis. By soothing intestinal muscles, chamomile tea can reduce bloating and constipation.
Chamomile Side Effects and Precautions
While chamomile is generally safe for most people to use as an herbal remedy, there are some precautions to be aware of.
Here are the potential chamomile side effects and precautions:2,3,4
- Chamomile does contain pollens that can cause allergic reactions in some people. Reactions may include hives, contact dermatitis, throat swelling or other allergic reactions.
- If using chamomile essential oil as a topical treatment, do not ingest it. Apply it only to skin.
If you are currently taking other medications, speak to your doctor about any alternative therapy treatments you are using.