Lantana leaf is the leaf from the lantana camara genus of plant. It’s a perennial, flowering plant. The lantana plant is native to the West Indies, but was introduced the the southeastern United States, specifically in Florida.1,2 The species that grows today in Florida is called L. depressa. Lantana is also found in Georgia, Texas, California, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand and China.1 Lantana is sometimes called verbena, wild sage, yellow sage and kantutay. 3
Lantana is a shrub that grows up to 6 feet tall. Lantana leaves are oval shaped. They grow up to 6 inches long and 2.5 inches wide. The edges of the leaves are serrated. The surface of the leaf feels rough like sandpaper. When they are crushed or rubbed, lantana leaves produce a distinct fragrance.1,2 The lantana leaves are used to produce herbal medicines, including being used as a poultice, tea and inhalant.3
Lantana Leaf Health Uses and Health Benefits
Lantana leaf health benefits include being a natural soothing treatment. Traditional lantana leaf medicinal uses include being pounded and placed on the skin to soothe irritation. They can also be added to a warm bath. This helps to relieve rheumatic symptoms, including joint pain, stiffness and swelling. Traditionally, crushed lantana leaves were used as a topical treatment to help heal snakebites.
Other lantana leaf health benefits include:
- Alleviating headaches
- Relieving toothaches
- Helping with indigestion
- Treating sprains and wounds
- Improving respiratory illnesses
- Reducing fevers
- Repelling mosquitoes
Lantana leaf medicinal uses include being a natural remedy for the following conditions:
- Cough - Lantana leaves have a natural cooling effect, which when inhaled, can help alleviate a cough.
- Flu (Influenza) - The natural cooling sensation of lantana leaves can help to bring down a fever when infected with the flu.
- Headache - Lantana leaf tea is a traditional home remedy for helping alleviate headaches.
- Indigestion - Lantana leaf tea can help soothe various indigestion symptoms.
- Joint Pain - Lantana leaf medicinal uses include being a natural remedy for helping to treat rheumatic pain in the joints.
Lantana Leaf Side Effects and Precautions
There are no known severe lantana leaf side effects. However, the lantana seeds and green berries are toxic and should not be consumed.3