Sage is a perennial plant from the mint family and is a close relative of another popular medicinal and culinary herb, rosemary. Sage’s botanical name comes from “salvere” which is Latin for “to be saved”. Sage originated in the Mediterranean and has been used for thousands of years in “saving” people from many ailments as well as being a proven memory enhancer. 1
Sage is grown in practically every herb garden worldwide. Sage is recognized by its lance-shaped leaves which come in a variety of colors from the common grayish-green leaves used in cooking to other medicinal types displaying leaves of red, gold, white and purple. 3
Sage Health Uses and Health Benefits
Over the centuries, sage was seen as everything from a fertility drug to granting immortality to warding off witchcraft. Today, it is known for its many sage health remedies due to its proven antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities. Other sage benefits include containing high amounts of Vitamins B, C, E and K as well as higher than required daily doses of calcium, folic acid, magnesium, manganese, iron, thiamin, riboflavin and copper. 1
Sage is also considered to be an outstanding memory enhancer recognized by the international pharmaceutical community. 3
Made into a drink from the leaves, sage is known as “thinker’s tea” for its memory enhancing qualities. 1
Some of the many sage benefits, sage can be used to treat the following ailments:
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis) - Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition displayed by an abnormal increase in body temperature that results in excessive perspiration. The muscle relaxant properties in sage calm the central nervous system and lower body temperature. A noticeable reduction of perspiration occurs after ingesting sage leaves or a sage drink.
- Depression - Depression is a mood disorder and can be caused any number of deficiencies. Most commonly, it’s a lack of serotonin in the system. Sage acts as a stimulant when used as a tonic or other natural health supplement.
- Memory Loss - Memory loss becomes more common in people as they age. Some memory loss is due to debilitating diseases like Alzheimer’s but most is simply a slowing of the brain’s memory department. Sage is one of the top memory enhancing natural remedies and has earned its reputation for reversing cognitive decline.
- Snoring - Snoring is generally caused by an obstructed airway which can be cleared by the relaxant properties found in sage.
- Schizophrenia - Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder involving irrational thought processes like paranoia and hearing voices. The mind-enhancing properties in sage may help when taken as a natural supplement.
- Menopause Symptoms - This is one health area where studies repeatedly prove sage to be a recognized and effective natural treatment. Women who take sage for menopausal relief have a significant reduction in hot flashes.
Sage Side Effects and Precautions
Sage side effects are limited, however, the plant can be toxic to some people when taken in very large amounts or for continuous periods. In foods, sage is best as a flavor additive or spice and not to be a mainstay such as full leaves in a salad. 2
Although sage is effective in reducing excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) it should not be used in fever perspiration reduction. Additionally, sage use should be limited in pregnant and nursing women or given to people who experience epileptic seizures. 4